Hi Guys, I’m Charlie Maddox! Welcome/back to my channel, Maddox Empire! Thanks for watching my latest lush haul in 2019 – next video live on Thursday at 4pm. Keep in touch via my social media platforms in the meantime and don’t forget to let me know if you have any video ideas for me!
As I am a blogger who takes blogging seriously and is trying to pave a career out of what I do there’s also been a couple of brands that I have often thought about working with. Although at the moment these may just be fantasies and visions, I still hope to work with some special brands as my audience grows! Find out below which brands I would like to work with in the future…
Although I have a couple of fave makeup brands, I’ll never forget the first time I used UD products. The stand lured me in when I was 16 as it was so vivid and looked exactly like the type of brand I would buy in to; the colours were fierce, passionate and confident and so I haven’t looked back since. UD was a huge inspiration to me when I was studying makeup at uni and their palettes never fail to inspire an array of design ideas!
Kat Von D
For me it was so interesting to watch Kat Von D go from tattooing (although she still does) to building a makeup up line with Sephora, talk about inspiration! The brand grabbed my attention from the offset with bold, daring colours and amazing lip formulas plus I was so excited when she expanded the brand to the UK because paying that shipping charge was never fun 🙂
I loved NYX the second I discovered the brand, it’s fun and creative with a wide range of products at an affordable price and I always recommend to new clients who aren’t sure what makeup they like/dislike. The lip formulas are amazing again but it’s really the blushers that I love from this brand, give a coral hue cheek any day of the week! It’s such an expressive brand you cant go wrong.
I was first introduced to Illamasqua by a close friend who asked me to try out a couple of her new products to see what I could do with them and I instantly fell in love. The pigmentation of Illamasqua products is out of this world and with such a strong brand culture your bound to create some epic looks when you get your hands on these products.
I have loved Kiehl’s for as long as I can remember, it’s a brand that is always striving for more, more from it’s ingredients and products to create the best possible products for it’s consumers and that is something that I can really appreciate. Kiehl’s is a wonderful brand that has developed and grown it’s brand culture over a long period of time so no wonder they make it look so effortless! The products really do speak for themselves and it’s like a spa treatment overtime you use them… If you do one thing this year, treat yourself to an eye treatment from Kiehl’s, honestly they are the BEST.
What’s not to like about Missguided? I love the style and attitude that the brand exudes, it’s effortless, chic and fashionable all in one. The quality of the clothing is great and they supply items for every single event/situation imaginable, I love there simple pieces and evening dresses and don’t even get me started on the swimwear! It’s my go to whenever I need a new outfit or even just some inspiration.
As the sun shines down on us we tend to take a care free attitude to life, that includes protecting ourselves from harmful sun rays. It’s easy to think that just because it doesn’t feel like your skin is burning, you aren’t causing any damage to your skin but in reality you might be. By following these 5 simple and easy tips you will be able to keep yourself safe in the sun, keep your skin looking and feeling fresh and avoid any pesky summer illness!
Use sunscreen and use it well – I know this sounds like a no brainer but there’s been countless times at the beach when I’ve seen parents slather their children in sunscreen only to use about 20% of the reccommended guideline for themselves.
The rule to follow here is actually quite simple, when in doubt use roughly 1 once of sunscreen for each exposed body part, a little extra if you have tattoos. This is around a shot glass worth or product and half of that for your face. If your worried about having that ‘white effect’ just ensure to apply around 15 minutes before going outside to allow the product to melt into the skin, remember to apply every 2 hours as well.
Grab those sunglasses! – sunglasses are probably my favourite accessory which is great when it comes to summer. Protect your eyes from those harmful UV rays, many people don’t know that aside from providing added protection from migraines and disorientation etc they actually protect you from developing Cataracts too! Look for a pair with UV & UVA protection.
Drink water – again this sounds as though I’m trying to tell you how to suck eggs but I promise you I’m not. I drink SO much water per day, at least 2 litres sometimes more and then juices/hot drinks on top if I have any that day. Water provides such good protection against sunstroke, headaches & helps you out even if you do get sunburn as dehydration increases the risk of this happening!
Stay in the shade – I’m not suggesting you do this all day but definitely between 12.30-3pm. I’m not telling you to go inside if you don’t want to just ensure that you have an umbrella or can find a shady part of the area for a few hours to allow your body to recharge and avoid the dreaded sunstroke.
Take care of yourself – check in with how you are feeling, do you feel too hot? Tired all of a sudden? Pay attention to your body because it will tell you what it needs! Wear appropriate clothing such as loose flowing fabric or at least something to cover your shoulders with.
Something that most people neglect to take into account is that medication can also play a massive factor in keeping yourself safe in the sun, medications such as anti-depressants, beta blockers or sleeping pills etc can make it difficult for your body to regulate tempurature or realise when it’s over heating. Just listen to what your body tells you and stay safe!
It’s that time of the month again, I love sharing my favourite’s with you guys just as much as I love reading other peoples! Some of my favourites for this month are also throw backs that I’ve just fell in love with all over again, so let’s get right into it:
- Makeup Revolution Highlighter in Golden Lights £3.00 – this highlighter gives of a build able glow, it’s lovely for pale girls as it isn’t orange at all. Tip:I love applying this to the tops of my cheekbones and temples with a fan brush!
- Bourjois 3D Lipgloss in Rouge Democratic £7.99 – I am loving this red gloss! This colour is so me right now, it’s plumping and makes my lips look a lot more pouty than they actually are. The funny thing about this gloss was the fact I had to adjust to it after wearing wearing so many matte shades in the summer!
- Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser £5.99 – this has been my little skin saver for this month! I was suffering from breakouts early this month from filming so many make up looks in a short space of time but this has cured me. It’s non irritating, doesn’t block pores & is fragrance free, I massage a small amount into my skin and cleanse off with either cotton wool or a muslin cloth.
Renewing Moroccan Argan Oil £4.90 – this product smells absolutely delicious! I use this on wet/dry hair and is one of my go to products when my hair needs a little pick me up after my many dye jobs!
Bio Sculpture Lavender Base £11.59 – this product is enriched with lavender oil, it has helped me repair my damaged nail after wearing acrylics & I’ll even wear it on it’s own due to the amazing shine it leaves on my nails.
Jack Skellington Fleece Throw £27.50 – does this one really need explaining? It’s getting cold now and I love nothing more than a snuggly blanket in winter and I found my perfect one!
I’m very new to Youtube but I have been watching for years and recently started interacting with others on the site so I have a new found love for Youtube (not that I needed it). I’m sure you have heard of these wonderful Youtube personalities that I’m about to list below but surely they deserve the appreciation for their continued hard work and dedication to keeping us all entertained!
@shaaanxo – I found Shaaanxo in around 2010 and have been following since, I love her personal style and how that comes across in her videos.
@Waynegoss – I was first made aware of Wayne’s videos before he did talk through’s way back when and his transformations were amazing! He’s so informative and gives great, short videos featuring the information that you really need to know.
@Tati – Tati offers a sophisticated side of youtube that I love, she comes across very soothing, informative & genuine. Tati has been one of my favourite channels to watch for about 2 years as I only found her around that time.
@Samantha – I have also mentioned Sam in a previous blog, I started watching her when she was relatively new to Youtube and loved her content straight away. If you haven’t seen her skin focus videos yet, I highly recommend them!
@Soph – I only found this channel around a month ago but I am so glad I did, Soph’s bubbly personality comes across on screen and her dry sense of humour is on parr with mine so she’s fun to watch!
As per usual if you have any awesome recommendations for me please let me know in the comments section below!
@TanyaBurr – I don’t know how I’ve managed o miss Tanya for all these years but I’ve actually only recently discovered her channel. I love how youthful & bubbly her personality comes across in her videos!
I have seen a slight shift in my attitude towards reaching for some of my favourite products due to the change this months favourites are going to include a little bit of everything, not just makeup!
As usual if you hover over the sub head and click the link it will take you straight through to the providers website.
Face & Body
This Moisturiser Melts into my skin effortlessly, it’s silky texture is wonderful and doesn’t need a lot of drying time. It contains Shea Butter & Orange Blossom which helps to reduce the signs of ageing (if you have any) & also provides protection from environmental pollution.
This oil is amazing, it doesn’t leave an oily/sticky residue on the skin. This oil contains Sweet Almond Oil which is greatly moisturising to the skin.
Why do I love this product? Because it contains Plant Melanin which works with your skin to formulate the perfect tan shade for you. This works so well for me as I am pale, very pale really so it doesn’t make me looks too dark and doesn’t leave behind an orange cast at all.
I only tried this product for the first time around a week ago but have been using it since, when I do wear foundation (not often) I can break out as my skin isn’t used to not being as breathable as usual and this have been perfect for me. I wouldn’t say that is does a lot in terms of coverage but for keeping oily patches at bay and preventing and further breakout it’s been great – I use Clearly Pearl.
This lip treatment contains Raspberry and Pomegranate seed Omega Oils for moisturising, collagen-boosting Indian Gentian Leaves and Hyaluronic Acid Filling Spheres – we all know what this means; a plump, fuller looking pout with zero effort. This treatment has rejuvenated my lips, I have used it every day since the beginning of August and one of the best things about it? It smells like wine gums. Yummy!
I recently received off I very close friend for my birthday and I cannot tell you how much I have been loving this perfume since. It was such a great show back to the past as I used to wear it many years ago (good thing he remembered)! Although the focal scent within this perfume is Orange Blossom what comes through for me the most is Vanilla with a hint of Jasmine, uh just wonderful!
This is my absolute favourite candle of all time (so far)! Imagine walking in to your home and smelling freshly baked hot cookies mixed in with the sweetest scent of icing. Like it? That’s exactly what this candle is…
UseThe majority of us are strapped for time and feel like we are in a constant rush, especially when trying to get out of the door for work in the morning! I’m going to share with you some super quick hacks I’ve picked up over the years, this article will probably turn into a series of posts because I can’t possible narrow them all down to my favourites as they are all so good!
- Apply bronzer in the shape of a 3, starting at the centre of the forehead, moving around the temples to the ear, under the cheekbone then back to the ear and finally to the centre of the chin. The technique will give you the most natural looking contour for your face shape!
- Don’t use coloured powder if you have oily or dehydrated skin, it will make your face look cakey; instead try translucent!
- Don’t extend the tail of your brow too far, it will make you look like you have smaller eyes than your actually do. For the correct way to measure brows follow this guide…
- Use different masks on different areas of the face i.e if you have an oily T-zone apply a charcoal mask but have dry cheeks? Combine with a Vit C mask to hydrate on this area. It’s a way of giving your skin what it really needs without having to find extra time to do 2 different masks.
- To hep flush toxins out of your pores mix a small amount of Epsom salt with your cleanser and buff into the skin for 1-2 minutes.
- Use conditioner or baby oil to shave your legs with instead of soap or traditional shaving cream to a softer, smoother feel. Remember to clean to bath/shower out afterwards as it will be left very slippy and could cause an accident!
- Mix sugar (brown if possible) & olive oil for a highly moisturising lip scrub.
I’m all for a good self taught makeup artist or stylists in fact some of them are the best in the biz, the only thing that worries me is the possible lack of hygiene. Don’t get me wrong I unfortunately trained with some people who’s hygiene was compromised when it comes to working with makeup but as a self taught MUA keeping products and tools clean is something that is all too often over looked.
Usually when training within a university or private school if you have bad hygiene then you fail however, the social world has seen an influx of top makeup artists who totally misses the ball park when it comes to bacteria & cross infection. Below are my initial go-to steps I take to make sure my work station, products & tools are kept clean.
- Before you even think about laying out your kit, disinfect your work station (even if you are on location) and then lay down some bed rolls/paper towels/clean towel before you pop your products on top.
- Have a spray bottle of brush cleaner/alcohol to clean your brushes as soon as you are finished with them.
- You MUST use disposable wands for mascara.
- Have a pencil sharpener on hand to sharpen pencils after each use, this includes before popping the lid back on as this can lead to cross contamination.
- Always try to use a spatula or palette when using lipstick/lip gloss instead of using it directly from the bullet. If you do have to use it directly from the bullet I would recommend giving this product to your client (include it in the price of your services) or at the very least wiping over the bullet with alcohol.
- The above being said try to use disposable makeup brushes or doe foot applicators when apply lip products.
- When applying powders in any form i.e eye shadow, loose/pressed face powders etc you must scrape of the amount of your desired product onto a palette and apply from there.
- Wear gloves! Latex or non latex gloves are available; as we all know a makeup artists hands are their best tools but they also carry a lot of bacteria, I picked this up many years ago after working behinds the scenes on catwalks (not the cleanest of places). It’s a great alternative to dry, cracked hands after applying to much alcohol rub.
- Always remember to wipe over your products and tools with disinfectant after use/in between each client.
- Break down your kits as you set it up; put paper towels directly into the bin along with any disposables and discard of straight away and then disinfect your work station as well.
These are just the basics but they do cover a lot of aspects that could potentially cause cross contamination. You will see from my youtube videos that I do apply my own makeup like this when using from my kit but if I am using my own personal makeup I will apply it directly. I hope this helped you gain a little more insight into the hygiene that comes with being a makeup artist!